The Benoit clan enjoyed some fun environmental enrichment in the heat this week. This is an easy way to help your pets beat the heat and also keep them mentally stimulated:
- Cut a 1L or 4L milk jug in half
- Use the bottom half to make a giant ice cube
- In a large bowl, mix 70% water and 30% chicken broth together
- Stuff a Kong with kibble or treats, or place their favourite rubber or plastic toy in the bottom of the milk jug
- Pour the water/chicken broth solution into the bottom half of the milk jug on top on the toy
- Place in the freezer for 4-6 hours depending on the size of your milk container
- Once frozen, remove from container and place outside for your dog to enjoy!
I made one for each of my dogs and they loved it. I also added a few kibbles to the water to entice them. It can be a bit messy, so it’s a great outdoor activity.
– Jessica Benoit CPDT, RAHT